Roasted Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche with Oatmeal Crust

Home is where the heart is. My home is a thousand places. My home is one place. When we traveled Europe, we said we were going home to Okinawa. I’m not sure that was right. Home was with us there. Home was in Springfield, Illinois. Home is in the arms of my sweet niece I have yet to meet. Home is laughter to be had.
I have a thousand homes. I have one home. My husband is my home.
Roasted Broccoli Cheddar Quiche
My recently divorced parents perhaps did not show me the marriage that I’m trying to create. I’m making it up and playing by ear. It’s difficult sometimes. I don’t know how the song goes. I hope I look back and think I was an artist. A true Beethoven. My home is with my family, the hard times, the happy ones too. My home knows my beauty, my weakness. My home loves me and stays warm waiting for my return. My home knows that I will always come back.   That I belong.
In Europe, I did not miss Okinawa. I missed home. I was home. My husband was with me.
In Europe, I missed cooking. Creating. I missed roasting and raw vegetables. I missed my oven. I missed my messes.
Roasted-Broccoli-Cheddar-Quiche7
I was experimenting with quiche over the summer and I made this recipe for quiche but it was more of an autumn or winter recipe. In the summer I try to cook with tomatoes and zucchini and summer squash. In the autumn I eat persimmons, mushrooms, butternut and acorn squash, cranberries. Roasting is for autumn. When heating your house is welcome and cuts the chill of the air.
My heart belongs to autumn just like it belongs to my home. It fits. Not too snugly but like an old sweater, worn in just the right way. Roasted broccoli and cheddar quiche fits my autumn and the life I’m creating, my own little melody. Not to fancy, healthy, delicious. Home.
Roasted Broccoli Cheddar Quiche


Roasted Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche with Oatmeal Crust
 
This quiche is lightened up by using half and half instead of cream and dropping a couple of egg yolks. The oatmeal crust gives a sweet, slightly nutty flavor that compliments and adds a hearty bite to the eggs. Enjoy for breakfast or any time of day.
: Justine Jordan Priess
Recipe type: Breakfast
Ingredients
Roasted Broccoli:
  • 3 ½ cups small pieces of broccoli, about ½ inch to an inch
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
Crust:
  • Cooking spray
  • 1½ cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 6 Tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • ½ cup cold, lowfat buttermilk
Quiche:
  • 1 ¼ cup roasted broccoli (should be yield from roasted broccoli pieces above)
  • 1 cup reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 4 eggs plus 2 egg whites
  • ⅔ cup half and half
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon onion powder
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
 
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
  2. Place oats, flour and salt in food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Add butter and pulse 10-15 more times until combined, mixture should be crumbly. Add buttermilk and pulse a several more times to combine, oatmeal should not be too chunky. Form into a ball.
  3. Roll out into 10 inch circle in between two pieces of parchment paper. Spray pie sheet with cooking spray and place crust in pan. Crimp edges if you desire, I prefer a more rustic appearance and leave them uncrimped. Place in oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, until turning a tiny bit light golden brown on the edges. Remove from oven and cool.
  4. In a medium bowl, toss broccoli with olive oil, add salt and pepper and toss to evenly distribute. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 10-12 minutes in oven that is still 400F, stirring halfway through. Remove and allow to cool somewhat.
  5. In another medium bowl whisk together eggs, egg whites, half and half, onion powder, garlic powder, salt (1/2 teaspoon) and pepper (1/4 teaspoon).
  6. Sprinkle cheese into cooled pie crust. Top with broccoli. Pour egg mixture over top of broccoli and cheddar, stir around slightly to mix ingredients.
  7. Decrease oven temperature to 350 and bake for 35 minutes, until knife inserted comes out clean. Cut into 6-8 wedges and serve.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment